What is the CMT Designation?
The Chartered Market Technician® (CMT) credential is the preeminent, global designation for practitioners of technical analysis. The designation is awarded to those who demonstrate mastery of a core body of knowledge of investment risk in portfolio management settings.
Earning the CMT charter makes you part of a community of investment professionals recognized as specialists and value generators around the world. A perfect complement to other analytical disciplines and financial designations, the CMT charter puts you on the leading edge of the ever-changing investment industry.
To earn the CMT charter you must be a Member of the Market Technicians Association (MTA), successfully complete three levels of examinations and obtain approval from the MTA Admissions Committee and Board of Directors.The Market Technicians Association is the home of the Chartered Market Technician® (CMT) Program, the preeminent, global designation for technical analysis and the only technical analysis designation recognized by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) The Chartered Market Technician® designation is awarded to those who demonstrate mastery of a core body of knowledge of investment risk in portfolio management settings and hold themselves to the highest ethical standards.
The exams for all three levels are administered twice a year, once in April and again October.
Candidates may only take one exam per administration.
In order to register for an exam you must:
- be a member of the MTA and enroll in the CMT program
- be prepared to take the exams in English
- have a valid Passport or other form of approved ID
Each of the exams is computer-based and administered at Prometric test centers around the world. Candidates taking the CMT Level I & II Exams will be issued a performance analysis report with pass or fail results at the test center immediately after taking the exam.
Exam Knowledge Domains
CMT Level I
CMT Level II
CMT Level III
The CMT program includes three levels of examinations:
- Level I focuses on a basic knowledge of the terminology and analytical tools used in technical analysis.
- Level II measures the candidate’s competency in the application of concepts, theory, and techniques covered by the required readings.
- Level III tests the candidate’s ability to integrate his or her understanding of the concepts identified in Level I with the practical application learned in Level II.
|CMT Fixed Fees|
|Annual Membership Dues||$325|
|Registration Fees||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3|
Disclaimer: MTA do not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by Taking Forward Financial Education & Training. MTA, CMT® are trademarks owned by MTA USA.